[legal] eligibility for contributing code to wine for students / graduates of a course derived from the Microsoft Windows Acadamic Program

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 14 04:13:12 CDT 2008

2008/6/14 Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Mark Farnell <mark.farnell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If a student is currently taking, or has previously taken a course
>> derived from the Microsoft Windows Academic Program
>> will they become *ineligible* to contribute code to the wine
>> project in the future?
>
> Yes, forever seems to be the curse you are stuck with. So goes what I
> have heard over the years. Its a bummer too as I know a number of
> people this affects. This question gets asked more and more these days
> and we don't seem to have a clear answer for when if ever your taint
> will wear off. You might want to ask the Samba project how they feel
> about this and also check with the Software Freedom Law Center. I am
> curious what they say.

IANAL, but the sources are for the kernel only. This does not include
the UI and other DLLs built on top of the kernel. If we know what DLLs
the sources correspond to, shouldn't the students be restricted to not
contributing to those DLLs only (just like if you use Visual Studio
you can't contribute to the ATL or the C/C++ runtime libraries)?

Also, this shouldn't prevent those people contributing to the Wine tests.

Am I correct in this, or does the taint impact all of Wine?

We also need a position on .NET participation, because I believe that
the sources come with the MSDN version of Visual Studio 2008. I don't
know how far that goes as I only have upto 2005.

- Reece