Celebrating Wine 1.0

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 17 09:55:39 CDT 2008

Woohoo!!!!

Alexandre just posted the Wine 1.0 commit!  I eagerly did my git
update and enjoyed running 'wine --version'.  Ooo.  I'm going to do it again...

Let us all have a moment of silence to mourn the passing of
the Wine 1.0 jokes <grin>.

Seriously, this is a major milestone for the Wine project.
It is no small undertaking to create a complex Free Software
project, and to bring it to a state of general usefulness.
There are literally millions - if not more - people using
this software we have built.  This is a great accomplishment,
and we all should be deeply proud of what we've accomplished.

I think it's particularly important to thank each and
every one of the 1076 AUTHORS and to recognize the support
and work of the many people that have contributed to Wine
without having their name in that file.

I also think we should particularly take a moment to recognize
the incredible work of our fearless leader - Alexandre Julliard -
without whom none of this would have been possible.

And then we should celebrate!

I realize that any real large communal celebration will have
to wait until we can gather for Wineconf.  But I intend to
gather up a gang of folks and go out for a meal to celebrate.
I will lift a glass of Wine in toast to Alexandre and the
many people that have worked on Wine, and I encourage everyone
else to do the same.

Ideally, people will become sufficiently happy to wax maudlin
and we can capture all kinds of embarrassing stories on #winehackers
<grin>.

Cheers,

Jeremy