Still having problems with build on MacOS X

Timothy Normand Miller theosib at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 18:58:24 CDT 2008

I've gotten some very kind help from a few people on this list with
compiling WINE for MacOS X.  Unfortunately, I'm still having problems.
 Thomas Kho had been successful, so he pointed me to something he
wrote about it.  Since I was running 10.5.2 and he was running 10.5.3
of MacOS, we decided I should try again after I updated.  So I have,
and I am able to successfully build WINE.  Unfortuately, it still
doesn't run properly.

The first problem is that whenever I try to start any app under WINE
(including notepad), it spends several minutes printing messages about
building font metrics.  Here is a sampling of some of the messages I
get:

fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo DBCS fonts like
'-daewoo-gothic-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-160-ksc5601.1987-0'
are not working correctly now.
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-mutt-clearlyu arabic
extra-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-101-fontspecific-0' has
unknown registry 'fontspecific' and character encoding '0'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-sun-open look
cursor-----12-120-75-75-p-160-sunolcursor-1' has unknown registry
'sunolcursor' and character encoding '1'
fixme:font:LFD_InitFontInfo font '-b&h-luxi
mono-bold-o-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-standard' has unknown registry
'adobe' and character encoding 'standard'
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org

There are lots more messages similar to those, as well as plenty of
things like this:
Font metrics: 99.6% done

Then when after the message about FreeType, the whole process starts
over again, repeating the same set of messages, several times.  Then
finally notepad will or won't start, and I can't tell why it does or
does not, because the last message is always:
Font metrics: 100.0% done

According to Fink, I have version 2.2.1-5 of FreeType installed.
There is no complaint about it missing during configure or build.

When notepad does start, it seems to work, and I do see text.
However, when I try to start the installer for Xilinx ISE (9.1i), all
the text is missing.

It would be nice if we could resolve this so I can run FPGA tools on
my Mac without having to use Parallels and Windows.  Thanks!

--
Timothy Normand Miller
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~millerti