Control panel developments and winecfg

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Jun 29 19:43:29 CDT 2008

Owen Rudge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As some of you may know, my Summer of Code project is working on control
> panel support for Wine, and writing some new control panels. Part of my plan
> was also to split bits of winecfg into their own control panels,
> specifically, the Appearance section of the Desktop tab, and the Sound tab.
> Now, I realise people will have got quite used to winecfg working the way it
> does, so I'm wondering what people will think of this, or if it's better to
> leave winecfg alone. Due to lots of shared utility functions in winecfg,
> I've currently implemented a bit of code, similar to that submitted by
> pure_evil @ mail.bg some months ago, which enables winecfg to be executed
> with a combination of parameters to display a combination of tabs (see
> http://tinyurl.com/5yua77), as opposed to physically moving the code into a
> separate file. winecfg would then be called by a .cpl file to display the
> appropriate tabs. The default setting for winecfg, then, would be to display
> all tabs except for the Desktop and Sound tabs, which would be accessible as
> separate icons in the control panel.
>
> What do people think of this? I can imagine there may be a bit of
> resistance, so I figured it'd be best to ask now, before I do any more work
> on it. ;-) My intention for the rest of my project is also to working on
> assorted other control panels, however, which don't overlap with winecfg's
> functionality!
>
> Cheers,

The biggest reason your patch was not accepted is because you can not
separate most of the settings from application tab. This makes it useless to
  put only separate tabs into control panel applets.

What will be useful, is rewriting winecfg without using property sheet
control. It dramatically limits what you can do in the winecfg interface and
is a huge hindrance.

Vitaliy.