winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 22:47:53 CST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Dmitry Timoshkov
<dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>  I have no idea why you're treating asking the questions as a "hostility".
>  This is the developers list, not the list for user complaints. Sending
>  the patches is a usual activity here, not vague reasoning.

Sorry I misread one of your statements. There is no point in sending
the patches when we already know they are going to be rejected.

>  Feel free to provide/suggest one.

There is a script posted here to make it less of a hassle to build a
stock Winehq release on OS X.

http://www.wine-forum.org/showthread.php?t=16

I'm happy to start making builds of Winehq snapshots for OS X. I just
don't see the point when the Darwine packages are better for the end
user experience. With Winehelper you get Doc integration and a partial
menu system. The stock X.org on OS X is broken and has inherit
overhead that will always be present, being able to write directly to
the native Windowing system seems like a much more logical long term
solution rather than trying to keep Xorg from breaking and or
developing hacks to work around X and its tricky interaction with
Quartz.

>  Aren't you supposed to work on that according to http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/QuartzDriver?

I have been but I've put my work on it on hold pending a new round of
patches from Emmanuel. My point was that you asked for patches, there
is one for your pleasure. I welcome your thoughts and I am sure
Emmanuel does as well. I know Pierre seemed to get disappointed when
he wanted to develop quartzdrv in winehq but could not get a clear
idea of what Julliard really wanted. What do you want/think quartzdrv
in winehq should look like? How should it be implemented? What
infrastructure changes should be made?

>  Looks like you overreacted, http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/ has nothing
>  to do with darwine except using its name.

Sorry like I said I mis-read the other email. My point was that it
does not seem that anyone wants to provide real solutions. I don't
think Emmanuel or Pierre really knew what Julliard wants in Quartzdrv.
I don't know know what you want in it. I know there is a certain level
of abstraction that needs to be done in user32 and I was glad to see
Julliard started working on it, thats what made me interested in
bringing some life back in to quartzdrv. It would be nice if those
people that are the experts on the Wine driver model would speak up
and say would needs to be done before we can have this driver.

--
Steven Edwards