WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Mar 4 06:15:10 CST 2008

I've been fighting against the notion that the
wine project encourages cracks for some time now.
Cracked versions of apps are bad because they are
a) illegal (at least in the US),
b) disrespectful of the author of the app, and
c) much more likely to be infected with malware.

One place we still do it is in our appdb ratings definitions;
http://appdb.winehq.org//help/?sTopic=maintainer_ratings
which say
"Gold: Application works flawlessly with some DLL overrides or other
settings, crack etc. "

I propose that we change the appdb ratings definitions
so that an app that only works with a crack gets no higher
than bronze.

Any objections?
- Dan