WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Mar 4 07:21:15 CST 2008

Vincent Povirk <madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com> wrote:
>  It's not clear to me what you want to accomplish by changing the
>  ratings. If games that only work with a crack become bronze instead of
>  gold, will fewer people really use cracks? Will they decide, from just
>  looking at the rating, that they don't want to use wine for their app?
>  Is that really a good thing if it happens?
>
>  I don't think this would change the incentives, and thus how much wine
>  encourages cracks, at all.

Does Microsoft encourage people to use cracks?  No.
Wine shouldn't either.

The fact is, by telling people about cracks, and by
giving high ratings to apps that only work with cracks, WineHQ
encourages the use of cracks.

The use of cracks is really independent of wine and/or windows,
and it's bad for the Wine project if people start associating
Wine with breaking the law, disrespecting copyright, and encouraging
people to seek out software from seedy, malware-ridden warez sites.
- Dan