WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Mar 4 07:51:51 CST 2008

Vit Hrachovy <vit.hrachovy at sandbox.cz> wrote:
>  in fact a DLL override may be another form of 'crack' - given the
>  situation I'm not owner of a Windows copy and need to override MS DLL
>  which is not free to use without Windows license.

That's much less risky.   First off, most
Wine users currently happen to have a Windows license,
due to the Microsoft tax.  Second, most of the MS DLLs
people need to grab can be downloaded directly from
Microsoft, thus avoiding malware exposure.

>  Given the problem above - we can solve it by rewording in a similar
>  spirit but leaving the bad word out:
>
>  "Gold: Application works flawlessly with some DLL overrides or other
>  settings, etc. Copy protection issues are not considered as issues here."

Sorry, that doesn't do it for me.  Apps that need cracks are simply
not convenient or safe enough to merit a gold rating, IMHO.
- Dan