WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Vit Hrachovy vit.hrachovy at sandbox.cz
Tue Mar 4 08:02:39 CST 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
>>  "Gold: Application works flawlessly with some DLL overrides or other
>>  settings, etc. Copy protection issues are not considered as issues here."
>
> Sorry, that doesn't do it for me.  Apps that need cracks are simply
> not convenient or safe enough to merit a gold rating, IMHO.
> - Dan

O.K. So I don't agree with Your opinion.

Gold means for me the application works for me as I expect it to work.

Copy protection is for me just an obstacle to skip through - I crack all
the legal SW I've bought, because I need comfort using the application,
not being whipped up by stupid DRM.

My priority is SW FUNCTIONALITY.

For copy protection functionalities we shall then have separate entries
in AppDB - as I'm interested in my app functionality, not its DRM.

I'm happy with the current AppDB state - AppDB is for users, not for
patent holders.

Regards
Vit