WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:14:55 CST 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 17:02:08 Steve Brown wrote:

> I have mixed emotions on this -- I can understand the reluctance of folks,
> that are only running an app for the purpose of testing, to shelling out
> several kilobucks for a license... but I also am morally opposed to piracy
> (it's why I got into the Linux realm in the first place).  That said,
> there are a couple proprietary programs that the users I support use that
> have such poor support from the vendor that the users go ahead and buy the
> licenses, but install a crack code -- just because it's easier than
> dealing with the vendors... sigh.

Whoa there. That's not what we're talking about. We were never talking about
piracy or anything like that. It seems like in lots of countries even
cracking a program you do have a license for is illegal, and that's the only
use of cracks that Wine ever was talking about.

I agree with Dan that an app where I might have to violate a law to be able to
run it (even if I rightfully own a license and the system requirements
said "Win98 or better" and I installed Linux) should not be Gold-rated. Steve
Edwards also has a point with the psychological effect that might have on
development.

Cheers,
Kai

--