DestroyWindow behavior differences between Win9x and Win2k/xp

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Mar 11 03:59:02 CDT 2008

Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:

> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> If the app crashes on XP then it's fairly reasonable for it to crash on
>> Wine too. The Win9x design (or lack thereof) is not something we want to
>> support in general.
>>
> Then we might as well remove "emulation" of all win versions and keep it at
> win2k. That's the whole point - if we have such a switch, we have to keep
> Wine compatible to that win version. If we can't, then we shouldn't even try
> to pretend. I'm not suggesting doing this for everything, but things like
> this do matter.

We can be compatible up to a certain point, but there are some behaviors
of Win9x that we cannot possibly ever support. Memory management is one
example. That doesn't mean we should get rid of the version switch,
there are a ton of apps that are quite happy with our level of
compatibility.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org