wine virus story

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Mar 13 14:11:14 CDT 2008

On 3/13/08, Edward Savage <epssyis at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Just as a silly outside thought; would it be worth keeping track of
>  some of the bigger windows virus so we can see how good wine
>  compatibiliy with all of the nitty gritty bugs of windows really is?
>  Also this would allow us to identify dangerous areas in wine were the
>  ability to affect the linux environment cross over.

Yes, it would be good to keep an eye on that.

Ideally we'd have an automated script to set up
a petri dish, try out a bunch of known infectious agents,
and see which one of them reproduce.

I haven't done anything like that myself, but I imagine
a good place to start might be to script an instance
of mozilla or ies4linux visiting the top sites listed at
http://www.stopbadware.org/home/topsites
and see if they're able to modify the system at all.
- Dan