[Wine] How should I educate myself in order to code for WineHQ?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 13 23:44:31 CDT 2008

"James McKenzie" <jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM, jingo811 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  So I was wondering can you give me an ordered to-do-list in becoming a Code Monkey for WineHQ?
>>>
>>>         Like do I have to know both C and C++ to code for Wine.
>>>

>> Nope, just C.  Go through "The C Programming Language" by
>> Kernighan and Ritchie, and do all the exercizes.
>>

> If you can make it through the book, you are very good and will work
> well for the Wine project.
>
> BTW, anyone want a spare copy of this book?

Unfortunately that's not that simple. Wine programming requires Windows
API programming skills as well, one needs an experience of using at least
APIs for the component(s) of Wine he/she is going to write the code for,
and a good knowledge how it's supposed to work/operate internally. One
should be prepared to write lots of tests to investigate/clarify behaviour
described/missing in MSDN.

--
Dmitry.