Wine Security Disclosure

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 14 14:33:50 CDT 2008

<tehblunderbuss at gmail.com> wrote:
>      The recent discussion about Windows viruses working through Wine leads
> me to questions about its security.
>  I've heard that using a separate user is alright, and then it isn't
> alright.

You're probably referring to
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2008-March/063452.html

I was talking about how to make sure your machine is
safe when you *on purpose* load malware.

However, it is true that we should tell users that Wine is
able to run many Windows malware, and that they
should be just as careful running Windows software
with Wine as they would running it with Windows.
We should also show how to install the standard
Linux virus checkers.
- Dan