GSoC

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:45:58 CDT 2008

Hi all,

2008/3/13, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>:
> Christopher Harvey wrote:
>  > I've had a few ideas that I thought of on my own, but now I'm starting
>  > to see they perhaps aren't as useful as the ideas thought of by current
>  > developers, but I'll float it out there one last time. I thought it
>  > would be cool to create a wine GUI overlay for games, exactly like
>  > nvPerfHUD. The thing about doing it in wine that makes it better than
>  > nvPerHUD is the fact the to use nvPerfHUD the apps have to give
>  > permission for nvPerHUD to run on them. A wine version would actually be
>  > able to force every single 3d app, opengl or directX to output nvPerfHUD
>  > like output. Anyway, just a thought. Would I be able to apply for both
>  > of these projects and pick one last minute?
>  > Thanks,
>  > Chris.
>  >

> After talking about the concept a bit at the Ubuntu Developer Summit, I
>  really don't like the idea of a "Wine GUI" just for running Wine
>  applications.  From the user's persepctive, installers for Wine
>  applications shouldn't be substantially different from any old Linux
>  installer - they just click on them, it adds something to their
>  applications menu, and from then on they can run it from there.
>
>  Most of the futzing with applications, like messing around with native
>  dlls in winecfg, shouldn't have to be done at all.  The same goes with
>  editing the registry.
>
>  Configuration we'll never be able to eliminate completely, like
>  selecting the windows version, should ultimately be done through an
>  intuitive place and not some central "Wine configuration" program.  For
>  instance, I should be able to right click a Windows application, select
>  properties, and then change the Windows version from there.
>
>  So, yes, I agree.  Winecfg is ugly and inadequate for the kind of
>  configuration our users are doing now.  But before we put too much
>  effort into sprucing up Winecfg, let's instead talk about how feasible
>  it is to make it unneeded in the first place.

I totally agree that a wine gui is not what we want. ui's are counter
productive.
I also found that I need winecfg less and less, I now run winecfg only
to set the windows version to vista. Maybe we should make this version
the default now? More and more applications don't want to run with
windows version set to 2000, and it should just work.

Cheers,
Maarten.