GSoC

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 11:54:53 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Maarten Lankhorst
<m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Given each application tends to have different results depending on
> >  which version of Wine is emulated, the solution to me seems that there
> >  should be a default set like now, such as XP and then the Desktop
> >  Environment should support a right click on the *.EXE where the user
> >  can select
> >
> >  Open With Wine
> >  Open With Wine in Win2000 Mode
> >  Open With Wine in WinXP Mode
> >  etc
> This isn't about specific applications, but for the default
> application wine setting.

I was replying to Austins comment about applications behaving
differently for vista. They already tend to do this for win2000 verses
windows xp so something should be done to address this for users that
are running these applications. Winecfg or another program does not
feel like the right place to me and Wine needs to tie in better with
GNOME in this regard.

I tend to agree the default global version should be set to XP as
there is a lot of backlash against Vista and XP is going to be with us
for a very very long time once SP3 officially goes gold.

--
Steven Edwards