Wine Security Disclosure

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 03:07:42 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov
<dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>  Again, I don't see how Wine developers could help with that, we are developers,
>  not a health care department.

And this is why there is a disconnect from developers to users. If you
don't document what are and are not valid assumptions and behaviors,
how the hell do you expect the user to figure it out? One reason there
is not a ton of spyware/virii for Linux and friends is most packages
come in source and binary form  where there is the chance of peer
review (and the fact the market share is so small its not worth
targeting) but users don't know that. They think Wine+Linux will just
magically solve the problem due to the apparent "betterness" of Linux.
If we don't properly address that, then users will be disappointed
because the real value comes from the free as in freedom part of the
software not the assumed enhanced security.

--
Steven Edwards