Wine Security Disclosure

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Sun Mar 16 03:14:23 CDT 2008

"Steven Edwards" <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov
> <dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>>  Again, I don't see how Wine developers could help with that, we are developers,
>>  not a health care department.
>
> And this is why there is a disconnect from developers to users. If you
> don't document what are and are not valid assumptions and behaviors,
> how the hell do you expect the user to figure it out? One reason there
> is not a ton of spyware/virii for Linux and friends is most packages
> come in source and binary form  where there is the chance of peer
> review (and the fact the market share is so small its not worth
> targeting) but users don't know that. They think Wine+Linux will just
> magically solve the problem due to the apparent "betterness" of Linux.
> If we don't properly address that, then users will be disappointed
> because the real value comes from the free as in freedom part of the
> software not the assumed enhanced security.

That's more like a social/mental/political problem, not something this list
is about. The purpse of Wine is to run the code written for Windows, nothing
more nothing less. Perhaps to clarify the assumptions one should start from
reading README in the Wine source and front page of winehq.org.

--
Dmitry.