Wine Security Disclosure

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Mar 16 20:04:07 CDT 2008

Lei Zhang wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
>>  2) we can at least document how to use clamav with wine,
>>   or link to clamav and its doc, e.g.
>>   http://www.clamav.net/
>>   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV
>>
>>  3) we can warn on startup if we detect that clamav
>>   is not present.
>>
>>  4) we can try to make it easy to use free virus scanners
>>   with wine.  Some ideas:
>>   http://www.burghardt.pl/2007/11/wine-with-on-access-clamav-scanning/
>>   http://www.christoph-probst.com/soc2006/wine/
>>

> What about working with Linux distros to set up proper SELinux /
> AppArmor profiles for Wine?

Lei:

That would be fine, but what about the other UNIXes and MacOSX?  I don't
want to attempt a test to see if a Windows virus will affect my Mac.
Again, we have to make our user base aware that Windows viruses will run
under Wine and that the results can be disasterous.  They should
practice good computer security, to include scanning any and all files
before using them with Wine.

James McKenzie