developing hints appreciated

pure_evil at mail.bg pure_evil at mail.bg
Thu Mar 20 10:05:51 CDT 2008

Folks, I'm working with Dan Kegel on the idea of a winecfg/control panel
merger; I did a .cpl or two a few days ago, but it seems I didn't quite
understand the rules of the dev on wine/ or on linux for that matter :(
I need someone to show me the ropes...
Basically, The Toolbox.
Question 1: I need to mess about with winecfg. I want to compile only
winecfg.exe so I can immediately see when I made a mistake /rather than
trying to build the entire source of wine/. What's the console command(s) I
need to execute in order to get a winecfg.exe or any other single file,
executable or otherwise out of the source /preferably not overwriting the
real one in use/?
Question 2: The cpls/any additional executables that have to be added to wine
have to be in source form (duh!). Any particular quirks I should know about?
Say, example.exe has to be created when wine is built; it goes into "c:
\windows\system32". Is there anything special (some obscure settings?) that
needs to be done in order for "./tools/wineinstall" and
then "wineprefixcreate" to create "c:\windows\system32\example.exe" out of
the source located in "<winesource>/programs/example"?
Sorry if the questions appear newbie-ish :(