loader: more stringent sanity check

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 19:39:22 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Lei Zhang <thestig at google.com> wrote:
>  On Ubuntu, you cannot even login as root, they'd have to run "sudo
>  wine". On many other distros, if you login as root, you'll get a
>  dialog warning you about it, and the desktop background will be bright
>  red. Are people going out of their way to run Wine as root?

I suspect it's more often people sudo'ing. I haven't tried it, but I
know that Alexandre committed a fix that checks if you're running with
sudo after the inital .wine directory is made, but I'm not sure about
what happens if you do it initially. I.e.,
$ wineprefixcreate
$ sudo wine notepad # gives an error about permissions

but does:

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ sudo wine notepad

give the same error (not at home or else I'd check).

Something should be done regardless, I'd personally rather see a gui
warning each time wine is run as root without a switch, but at least
if it is done at wineprefixcreate, then it'll catch most (and the
permissions check should catch those that run sudo on their user's
.wine directory). Those two efforts combined should catch most issues,
IMHO.