loader: more stringent sanity check

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Mar 21 03:32:30 CDT 2008

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> writes:

> Many, many newbies are running wine as root without
> really needing to.  They are much more likely to screw
> up their systems this way.  Are you saying we should stop
> advising against this?

I have seen very little evidence that anybody screwed up their system by
running Wine as root, I think that's just paranoia. Of course it's
possible in theory, but you can screw up your system by running 'cat' as
root too, that doesn't mean it needs a warning.

Pretty much the only case I'm aware of is someone's system rebooting
because an app was searching through /proc and triggered the watchdog.
That shouldn't be hard to avoid, and it's really minor compared to the
thousands of people who reboot their box as normal users just by
starting OpenGL.

So yes, I'd say stop the "don't run as root" crusade, and fix the actual
problems that running as root causes, if there are any.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org