Google Summer of Code - Case Insensitive Filenames

Cesar Izurieta cesar at ecuarock.net
Tue Mar 25 20:43:43 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Kai Blin <kai.blin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008 17:21:20 Austin English wrote:
>
>  > An option yes, but it should not be the default course of action. As
>  > Rahyen said, a predictable order should be used, and when there are
>  > conflicts, pick the first in that order for presentation through the
>  > FUSE system. User can then rename files/delete files to get the one
>  > they want (or if possible, have a configuration menu to adjust chosen
>  > file order/allow exceptions, etc.).
>
>  As long as it's configurable, I don't care about the default. I'm just
>  concerned that the most important reason to use a case sensitive file system
>  (i.e. not having to check for all possible capitalizations) will suffer from
>  having to check if we're allowed to just overwrite or not will suffer.
>
>  How about simply refusing to mount if there's e.g. two files like foo and Foo?
>  Then the user gets to clean up manually before being able to mount.
>

>  Cheers,
>  Kai
>
>  --
>  Kai Blin
>  WorldForge developer  http://www.worldforge.org/
>  Wine developer        http://wiki.winehq.org/KaiBlin
>  Samba team member     http://www.samba.org/samba/team/
>  --
>  Will code for cotton.

There could some sort of a warning and present the conflicted file
with a different name. Depending on how efficient the checking is, it
could take some time to traverse the whole file system (supposing we
also mount the root / in .wine/something ). If that is the case we
might need just to mount without checks and present the files with a
different name when doing a directory listing.