[GSoC][RFC] Case Insensitive Filesystem

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Mar 26 06:49:16 CDT 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
[...]
> The filesystem converts every path to lower case before further
> operations take place. On file creation the original filename is
> stored in an extended attribute and later returned upon request.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? I guess the way you've done it is
simpler because you can simply rely on the standard kernel code to
ensure filename uniqueness, but it also means that anyone accessing the
underlying files directly will lose the case information.

  Any sufficiently advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux