SoC idea: enhance the Program Manager, winefile and friends - Converting VB program to ANSI C for Windows Explorer replacement.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sat Mar 29 23:11:09 CDT 2008

Austin English wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hasn't someone else somewhere in the world already written an explorer
>>>
>>  >  replacement and we could just get them to open source it so we can
>>  >  include it with Wine?  No need to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>  There's the ReactOS one, but it's written in C++.  I don't know of any
>>  ANSI C ones, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
>>  --Juan
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+explorer+replacement&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>
> List of windows explorer replacements:
> http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50712&pid=167091&mode=threaded&show=&st=&
>
> Here's direct links to a few I found:
> http://www.xyplorer.com/index.htm
> http://mustangpeak.net/
> http://www.download32.com/directory-opus-i30453.html
> http://www.explorerxp.com/
> http://www.discount-softwares.com/soft/Utility/File_Disk_Management/9079_universal_explorer.htm
>
> There's even an open source one (in visual basic though, bleh)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pc-viewer

It has been asked if any of these are written in ANSI C, how about
converting the last one into ANSI C?  That would definitely be a mind
expanding project, IMHO.  I've done language conversion in the past, and
would do so now, if I had the available resource, time.   Would that be
a good GSOC project?

James McKenzie