Proposal: versioning .wine directory

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Mar 30 17:08:50 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  If we have a stable wine prefix in 1.0, I don't see what could
>>  possibly be added in 1.2 that would break that.  The idea is that,
>>  even if you add a new dll that needs to be registered in, say, 1.0.5,
>>  you still don't need to remove your wine prefix or reinstall any apps.
>
> Can I bring the discussion back to my proposal,
> which was to have wine-1.0 notice old, unsupported .wine
> directories, and do something sensible?

If we're going to force users to remake ~/.wine, it would be ideal if we
only did that once.  Then we could provide some sort of upgrade path if
wineprefix changed again for some reason.

I'm wondering if the case-insensitive FUSE project could be finished in
time - this would allow us to both get a stable wineprefix and a
case-insensitive .wine folder.  This would save us the hassle of having
to worry about converting case-sensitive but proper-prefixed .wine folders.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie