user32: Implement BroadcastSystemMessage, try 5.1

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Mar 30 17:24:41 CDT 2008

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> "Maarten Lankhorst" <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Or wine is doing something wrong. After some more digging I found that
>> SetLastError() was set to 0 by TlsGetValue when called from X11DRV's
>> MsgWaitForMultipleObjectsEx. After I tried fixing this so that
>> SetLastError is only set when NULL is returned, one of the other tests
>> miraculously started working inside a todo block too (cursoricon).
>> I'll work on some testcases to verify that tlsgetvalue only calls
>> SetLastError(0) when succesfully returning null.
>
> In most cases it's the test that is doing something wrong by being too
> strict. We don't care whether last error is modified or not on success,
> and there's no reason to test for it, unless it's one of the very few
> functions that do something special on success, or unless there is a
> real app that depends on it.

I remember sending the patch for this exact thing a while back, which you of
course refused under the same pretense - showing a real life app that
depends on it. So if tests are not a real life app that shows a difference
between Wine and windows - then why do we bother with Wine at all? At least
should change the moto to "might run some apps with loads of problems and
never be 100% compatible".

One for sure will find an app that in one way or another depends on
undocumented windows behavior. So if a test can be written to show a
difference between Wine and windows. Then this difference should be fixed in
Wine.

Vitaliy.