user32: Implement BroadcastSystemMessage, try 5.1

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Mar 31 03:43:41 CDT 2008

Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:

> I remember sending the patch for this exact thing a while back, which you of
> course refused under the same pretense - showing a real life app that
> depends on it. So if tests are not a real life app that shows a difference
> between Wine and windows - then why do we bother with Wine at all? At least
> should change the moto to "might run some apps with loads of problems and
> never be 100% compatible".
>
> One for sure will find an app that in one way or another depends on
> undocumented windows behavior. So if a test can be written to show a
> difference between Wine and windows. Then this difference should be fixed in
> Wine.

It all comes down to where we want to spend our efforts. It's very easy
to write a million last error tests, and then we'd have to spend months
fixing Wine by adding save/restore of last error all over the place, for
no benefit at all. Our time is much better spent fixing things that
actually matter, and not making the code uglier for things that don't.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org