user32: Implement BroadcastSystemMessage, try 5.1

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Mar 31 08:34:43 CDT 2008

Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:

> But that's the thing. How can you definitively say that there isn't a
> program that affected by this?

Of course you can never be certain, but after having debugged a number
of apps, and checked the behavior of APIs across Windows versions, there
are things that you know do matter, and things that don't; and the last
error behavior on success is definitely in the latter category.

Yes, I'm sure someone someday can find a case where some specific app
depends on some specific function to handle last error in a different
way; but there's no reason to believe that BroadcastSystemMessage is
more likely to trigger that bug than any other of the 10,000 functions
that touch last error. So we either wait until we find an app that
depends on this and fix the one offending function, or we spend months
adding ugly code to every single API; adding the ugly code to only a
handful of randomly chosen functions doesn't make any sense.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org