wineserver socket file and DOS attacks

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon May 5 01:47:52 CDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Steven Elliott wrote:

> I have some concerns about the location of the socket file that
> wineserver uses.  Since by default the current location is in /tmp my
> concern is that anyone can stop anyone else from using wine just by
> creating a directory named /tmp/.wine-500.
[...]

In /tmp I see the following:

   .X0-lock
   .X11-unix/
   fgouget/
   gconfd-fgouget/
   vmware-fgouget/
   xmms_fgouget.0

So it seems like if there is a malicious user Wine will not be the only
application that will be affected. So the question is: are all these
apps susceptible to DoS or do they avoid DoS somehow? And if they
prevent DoS, how and is that technique applicable to Wine?

     You can have my guns when you pry them from my kids cold, dead hands.