wineserver socket file and DOS attacks

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon May 5 05:16:34 CDT 2008

Steven Elliott <selliott4 at austin.rr.com> writes:

> Maybe I'm making some bad assumptions about why the socket file can't be
> placed in ~/.wine (that not all users have a writable home directory).
> I'm guessing based on the snippet from my original post that includes
> "Since that might not be possible" in reference to placing the socket
> file under ~/.wine.

No, the real problem with putting it under the home directory is that
many setups have the home directory on a networked file system, but the
socket needs to be local to the machine.

I don't think the DoS is a big issue, but if it is for you it's pretty
easy to have a script create the directories for all users at boot time.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org