Time-based releases idea

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Mon May 5 06:25:26 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 04:12:52AM -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > I just wrote up an idea related to release management for post-1.0
> > wine releases.  It's online at
> >   http://wiki.winehq.org/TimeBasedReleases
> > Essentially, the idea is to release in March and September,
> > in time for the April and October releases of Ubuntu.
>
> You have my 120% support for this.  Although Ubuntu is certainly our
> biggest distribution, I'd like to stress that by targeting March and
> September, we're not just doing this for Ubuntu; we're doing it for
> every distro that is timed to release shortly after the bi-annual Gnome
> and X releases.

There aren't any except Ubuntu that do this I guess.

At least SUSE releases in an 8 month cycle currently.

> There is growing support for synchronizing distro release dates, not
> only for the above reason, but also to make Linux as a whole look good.

No, this is mostly Ubuntu wishful thinking as far as I see.

> The alternative, truthfully, is choosing between shipping Ubuntu with a
> 2+months out of date Wine version or an untested one.  Either option sucks.

I would really like to see what Alexandre thinks and how the post-1.0
things work out.

Or if we have to put a release dude in, just like Dan now. ;)

Ciao, Marcus