Time-based releases idea

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon May 5 07:59:10 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>  I don't see how we can possibly have a tested release ready every time
>  some distro decides to ship.

That wasn't the proposal.  The proposal was to ship every 6 months, and
to pick a release date that made some sense relative to any emerging
rhythm in distro releases.

FWIW, Fedora also seems to be on a six month release schedule;
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule
says 8 released in November, and 9 will release in May.

> On the contrary, since distros don't give a
>  damn about Wine and usually do their best to break it (page zero issue
>  anyone?)

That wasn't the distro; that was an upstream kernel vulnerability fix
announced in February,
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Patching_CVE-2008-0600_Local_Root_Exploit

> we are better off releasing after a major distro release so
> that we have a chance to find and fix the latest breakages first.

If we want to catch breakages like the recent one early, we shouldn't
wait for the distros; we should run Wine with each new release of
the Linux kernel.

>  It's still very much a feature-based model, only of course the desirable
>  features have been shifting as Microsoft shipped new stuff and people
>  wanted to run new apps before we supported the old ones properly...

You assert Wine's releases will be feature-based, but
I don't understand your reasoning yet.
- Dan