Time-based releases idea

Zachary Goldberg zgs at seas.upenn.edu
Mon May 5 16:47:28 CDT 2008

I think that a missing factor in making this decision is the shape of
an automatic test suite.  Its been mentioned a dozen times and has the
potential to tip the scales in favor of the time-based releases
(making QA easier -> shorter freezes).  In the event that we are able
to maintain QA (by test suite or other) then +1 for time based
releases.  Its very convenient for users to know when releases will be
and makes following software much easier as a whole.

For those who don't mind the cutting edge though, I don't see a
problem with still keeping minor revisions every other week with major
revisions every 6 months, e.g: 1.x.y, incrementing y every 2 weeks
incrementing x every 6 months

-Zach