Serial port support in wine-1.0: What to do to make it working ?

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue May 6 00:31:18 CDT 2008

Hi!
  I have really BIG problems running any application, which needs to comm over
a serial port:
  - My ham TCVR
  - My GPS
  - My multimeter
  - A lot of my mobiles
  - A lot of devices used in my work (special telco equipment, comms varying
    from simple AT-style commands up to complex proprietary binary protocols).
  In all the cases there are very similar problems - either the program doesn't
detect the device properly, or the device doesn't respond, or in some cases
the device does, what the program wants, but it then can't read it back.
  It looks that some archaic wine versions are better, for example I have to
use wine-0.9.40 to communicate with a device in my work (simple text-based
command-reply communication), any wine newer than say 0.9.50 doesn't work, the
communication times out.
  Because I'm a telco engineer and serial comm is my daily work, and there are
only windows versions of many tools I have to use, proper and mature serial
port support is essential for me.
  So, what can I do to help fixing these problems ? Should I open a bug for
every such a program ? Or just open one bug and state all the programs there ?
I think that bugzilla contains a lot of bugs related to serial port; is it
good to add a new ones ?
  I'm afraid I can't bisect a problem between 0.9.40 and current wine, but I
can make a serial trace for both of them and look at the difference. Would it
help to find at least this one particular problem ? Or what more can I do
to make the serial port working ? I can code in C in the Linux environment, but
I know NOTHING about windows...
  With regards, Pavel Troller