Serial port support in wine-1.0: What to do to make it working ?

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue May 6 10:46:57 CDT 2008

    Pavel> Hi!  I have really BIG problems running any application, which
    Pavel> needs to comm over a serial port: - My ham TCVR - My GPS - My
    Pavel> multimeter - A lot of my mobiles - A lot of devices used in my
    Pavel> work (special telco equipment, comms varying from simple AT-style
    Pavel> commands up to complex proprietary binary protocols).  In all the
    Pavel> cases there are very similar problems - either the program
    Pavel> doesn't detect the device properly, or the device doesn't
    Pavel> respond, or in some cases the device does, what the program
    Pavel> wants, but it then can't read it back.  It looks that some
    Pavel> archaic wine versions are better, for example I have to use
    Pavel> wine-0.9.40 to communicate with a device in my work (simple
    Pavel> text-based command-reply communication), any wine newer than say
    Pavel> 0.9.50 doesn't work, the communication times out.  Because I'm a
    Pavel> telco engineer and serial comm is my daily work, and there are
    Pavel> only windows versions of many tools I have to use, proper and
    Pavel> mature serial port support is essential for me.  So, what can I
    Pavel> do to help fixing these problems ? Should I open a bug for every
    Pavel> such a program ? Or just open one bug and state all the programs
    Pavel> there ?  I think that bugzilla contains a lot of bugs related to
    Pavel> serial port; is it good to add a new ones ?  I'm afraid I can't
    Pavel> bisect a problem between 0.9.40 and current wine, but I can make
    Pavel> a serial trace for both of them and look at the difference. Would
    Pavel> it help to find at least this one particular problem ? Or what
    Pavel> more can I do to make the serial port working ? I can code in C
    Pavel> in the Linux environment, but I know NOTHING about windows...
    Pavel> With regards, Pavel Troller

Pavel,

perhaps compile wine yourself and instrument the serial code with debugging
output. Try to see what's going wrong. Look at the codes where this happens
and read the old changelogs, where somebody fiddled witrh the code. Ask
about what people thought (or smoked) when implementing or offer a better
implementation.

There is a big problem with those special devices, as only few if any wine
developpers have it...

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de