Spec OpenGL benchmarks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri May 9 21:31:41 CDT 2008

On a whim, I tried the oldest SPEC OpenGL benchmark, SPECviewperf 6.

SPECViewperf 6.1.2 lives here:
http://www.spec.org/gwpg/pastissues/Feb2_02/opc.static/opcview.htm
It's also downloadable from
ftp://spec.it.miami.edu/dist/gpc/opc/viewperf/specviewperf612is01.exe

So far, the two tests I've tried seem to run ok, though I don't
know if the rendering is correct.

On one machine,
$ cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/SPECopc/SPECviewperf 6.1.2"
$ wine cmd /c RunLight04.bat
produced a proud 3 frames per second, woot!

This is pretty slow compared to the published results from 2002,
http://www.spec.org/gwpg/pastissues/Feb2_02/opc.data/summary.html
even without thinking about how much faster today's CPUs are.

Still, it's nice that it runs.  Perhaps we can take some baseline data
and start looking for bottlenecks one of these days.
- Dan