Lots of regressions in games in last few versions

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sat May 10 20:27:28 CDT 2008

Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Several latest releases introduced lots and lots of regressions to a point
> that no games run as-is. Considering that we are at the code freeze, I'd
> like to see all patches that cause regressions, and all patches that depend
> on them starting from wine-0.9.58 be reverted.
>
> Also each patch to have a conformance test and statement which games where
> tested and what problems were fixed with each patch.
>
> Bugs: 13120, 13110, 13101, 13086 and on and on and on.
>
> Can some one explain what's the deal with games not working full screen? Why
> are there are of the sudden problems with pixel formats? Why lots of games
> crashing ActivatingContext? Why most games don't work anymore on ATI?

Ya know there is a way to handle this.  Bashing developers is not one of
them.  Regression testing is.  Some of our 'users' are not savvy enough
to figure out how to do this.  We need to help them.  Since I run a Mac
and don't have access to some of these games and don't want to introduce
the world to Apple's 'broken' X11, I cannot fill this need.  However,
others can and should.  Now, are you going to be a part of the problem,
or are you going to go out and find the culprit and fix it?  Think about
this and go forth and do great things.  I expect nothing less from a
person of your experience and abilities.

In other word:  Quit whining, and fix it.

James McKenzie