Lots of regressions in games in last few versions

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun May 11 10:56:47 CDT 2008

"Zachary Goldberg" <zgs at seas.upenn.edu> writes:

> I think most of the participants in this thread thus far recognize the
> complexity of Wine and the difficulty of the task at hand.  I do
> believe however, that Vitaliy's original arguement still stands.  Are
> we working to make Wine 1.0 be the best at running applications that
> Wine has ever been?  If so then reverting recent patches which break
> things is a good idea.  If we're _only_ concerned about those 4 listed
> applications and those still work and the status of other regressions
> isn't as important then we continue and leave in the regressions.

The goal is to ship with as few bugs as possible, whether they are
regressions or not doesn't matter for users affected by the bug. I see
no evidence that Wine as of two months ago was so wonderfully stable
that going back to it would magically yield a bug-free 1.0.

So yes, recent changes have caused regressions, just like about any
other change in Wine. That's what code freeze is all about: try to fix
the existing problems (including regressions) without introducing new
ones. We've been in a code freeze for only a week now, I think it's a
bit early to admit defeat and decide that we can't fix things without
blindly reverting patches.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org