mono progress on mixed-mode assemblies...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed May 14 04:55:48 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Kornél Pál <kornelpal at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Because mixed-mode (there is no pure managed version) msvcrts require
> Managed C++ and C++/CLI and there is no open source compiler supporting any
> of these so MS compilers would be required.

Bleah.  Well, you gotta do what you gotta do!

>  Also note that Mono's Class Library is licensed under MIT/X11 because
> inlining (done by the runtime) may be incompatible with GPL that would not
> allow non-GPL programs to be executed within Mono. Would it be possible to
> have a MIT/X11 licensed msvcrt?

That's an interesting question.  If you start from scratch, and make
it part of Mono, sure.
If you start with Wine's source code, you would need to get
permission from the authors who have contributed to
Wine's msvcrt.  I don't know how many there are, but it would
probably only take an hour or so for somebody to write
a script that generated the list of authors...
- Dan