mono progress on mixed-mode assemblies...

Kornél Pál kornelpal at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:36:58 CDT 2008

> From: Juan Lang
> The main contributors that have not done so that I saw after a quick
> perusal were Alexandre and Rob Shearman.  If you can't get their
> permission, you'd have to start with the last MIT/X11 licensed
> version, or get Transgaming's most recent ReWind version and start
> from there.

I had a look at msvcrt of the latest ReWind that is quite old but should be
enough as well for the reqired parts. After examining the mixed-mode msvcrt
(just the metadata not the code) I found that it contains little if any
managed code so I will most likely be able to forward calls to a native
msvcrt.

As a conclusion I think that there will be no licensing problems.

> I'm not sure if you realise it, but Wine is licensed under the LGPL, not
> the GPL so I don't think using Wine's msvcrt code would be a problem
> with inlining and using non-GPL programs.

Inlining (done by the JIT at run time) is not just linking (that is
permitted LGPL) and may not be permitted by LGPL.

Kornél