Adding d3d9x_xx dlls to winetricks?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Wed May 21 04:33:29 CDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2008 10:45:50 schrieb H. Verbeet:
> 2008/5/21 Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at>:
> > I think the proper thing to do is to install the DirectX runtime /
> > redistributable. It installs all the DLLs and registers them in the
> > registry etc.
>
> Isn't that what we're trying to avoid?
In the long run we probably want to write a replacement for all the DLLs,
mostly for licensing reasons. While the DX runtime can be installed on
Linux/OSX, it can't be bundled with any app intended to run on non-windows
plattforms.

But I personally prefer installing the full runtime over copying the selected
DLLs, because it provides a proper setup for the libraries, like
self-registration, other libs like dplay, etc. Self-registration is
especially important for directplay, some games check the registry keys(of
some DLLs we do not implement yet, hence there's no point in setting them in
the wine registry)

What we want to avoid is giving the impression that it is possible to use the
native d3d9.dll library with Wine. That's why Roderick didn't like Tom's
HOWTO. Tom mentiones that d3d9 will only work builtin, but it is easy to miss
this.