Can I do this in WINE?

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:56:22 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Bret Comstock Waldow
<bcw1000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>>> I ONLY want to write a Windows app I can install on my OWN copy of
>>> Tablet XP on my OWN Tablet PC and then run from Linux via WINE.
>>
>> So you want that everyone drop everything they are doing and start
>> doing something that no one else can possibly use? Because it's either
>> illegal, too costly or depends on hardware that non one has?  What a
>> wonderful idea!
> No, I want to develop a solution that anyone who has a Tablet PC can use
> to remain in Linux/Unix while using their OWN Tablet PC and the legal
> copy of Tablet XP that is licensed for that actual PC, and I want to
> tell others how to do it so they can for themselves.
>
> If it's legal for me to release the actual binaries to do that under a
> free license (I'm using the Modified BSD license for my current .NET
> server), then I will.  If it's only legal to release the source code or
> instructions under a free license then that's what I'll publish, and
> people can write and compile their own, so they can use everything they
> have paid for in a legal way.
>
> And you didn't address why it's acceptable for the WINE project to tell
> people to use native .dlls in WINE without loading a full session of
> Windows, but not acceptable for me.
>
> Can you speak to that, please?  Is WINE itself breaking the law, and
> what is the difference to what I am thinking of  if the project is not?

Wine is software...not sure how 'it' can break the law.  There's a
vast difference between a software project, developing for that
software, and using that software.  A person using native Windows DLLs
with Wine may be violating copyright law or the MS EULA if they don't
own a licensed copy of Windows.  We only advise licensed users of
Windows to use their DLLs in Wine, and even then its' only as a last
resort because it's detrimental in the long run to the project
(developmentally, not legally).

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-d9796202650e186ec37698c0c8d2a18bebf6862c

--
James Hawkins