Time to cull the changelog file

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sat May 24 05:19:22 CDT 2008

Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> writes:

> A while back, Alexandre promised to wipe the changelog file "when we hit
> 1.0 or when it hits 4 gigabytes, whichever comes first."
>
> Well, it's about time.  I suggest removing all changes for entries
> earlier than Wine 1.0-rc1, as having it completely empty would be a bit
> silly.  As for where to archive the old changes online, I'm not sure.

Actually I was thinking of simply no longer maintaining a Changelog
file. It made sense in the days of CVS to store changeset information,
but now with git the same information and more can be retrieved
trivially with git-log, and the linear log format won't work so well
once we start having multiple branches.

Objections?  Does anybody feel a strong need for a Changelog file?

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org