How to phrase Wine's success rate

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun May 25 16:53:51 CDT 2008

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
>> "Of the apps we have tested with Wine, about 20% work well,
>> and about another 20% work but have some glitches."
>>

> Just my opinion, but that's a terrible idea to put in the 1.0
> announcement. The impression I get after reading this is (1) wine is
> full of glitches, and (2)  it's being released with 80% of the apps not
> working well.

Number of apps working is a bad measure anyway - who cares if 99% of
applications don't work if users only want the one that actually does?

This is in Wine's favor, as we've prioritized work on popular
applications, both intentionally through developer efforts and also
accidentally through receiving more bug reports.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie