Best place for HOWTO documents for your favourite application?

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon May 26 08:20:07 CDT 2008

2008/5/26 Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been trying our various Oberon Media games. The thing that is
>> holding this up from working is the hyperlinks on the intro screen (I
>> am going to enter a bug report later on).
>>
>> I have worked out how to run and register the games (given a valid
>> registration key that you have purchased) so that they will work under
>> Wine. So this got me wondering... where do I put this?
>>
>> This complements the appdb, but is in a way orthogonal to it (that is
>> there may be HOWTOs relating to individual games/applications, to
>> vendors or to other areas such as installing Windows themes like the
>> Zune theme). It will also help when more people start using Wine and
>> want to get their favorite application running.
>>
>> My initial thoughts are that the wiki seems like a good place for
>> this. Thoughts? Comments?
>
> I don't see why this shouldn't be put in the AppDB. The wiki may be
> useful for installing themes, etc., but this seems to be related to a
> particular app/vendor, and should be in the AppDB.

Ok. However, I don't see anything on the AppDB forms for entering
HOWTO information for a vendor or application and linking application
notes to the vendor version.

Do you mean these should be in the Application Comments section? If
so, what about having Vendor Comments as well? However, these feel
more like email discussions about applications and the HOWTO notes
could get lost in the noise; in addition to this, the HOWTO may evolve
and thus it would be harder to track down which is the right one.

- Reece