user32: Increased area for scrolling via mouse drag outside scrollbar

Dylan Smith dylan.ah.smith at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:14:37 CDT 2008

I just realized that the behaviour of Windows in this situation feels
buggy.  To me it would actually be more usable to allow the mouse to be
dragged anywhere on the screen, as long as the mouse button stays down,
instead of just within some area close to the scrollbar.  KDE and Gnome
applications that I am running all appear to allow the mouse to be dragged
anywhere on the screen to scroll.

Therefore, I would like to know what other people think.  Do we actually
want to copy Windows when it makes usability worse and doesn't affect
compatibility?  Wouldn't it be cool to have a better implementation of the
Windows platform?

I still think this patch is an improvement, just not the best solution.