Winetest broken on Win98

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue May 27 14:19:49 CDT 2008

2008/5/27 Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>:
> Paul Vriens wrote:

>>> Could you try running the user32/sysparams test manually? That's where
>>> the "screen" of my win98 turns black and the "box" doesn't seem to
>>> respond anymore.
>>>
>> Could this be the issue:
>>
>> sysparams.c:2225: Test failed: Waiting for the WM_DISPLAYCHANGE message
>> timed out
>> sysparams.c:2238: Test failed: Set bpp 8, but WM_DISPLAYCHANGE reported
>> bpp -1
>> sysparams.c:2230: Tests skipped: Setting depth 16 failed(ret = -2)
>> sysparams.c:2230: Tests skipped: Setting depth 24 failed(ret = -2)
>> sysparams: 790 tests executed (0 marked as todo, 28 failures), 2 skipped.
>>
>> (Output from "user32_test.exe sysparams > log.txt" checked after a restart)
>>
> Sorry for the spam.
>
> I just saw my win98 box (VMware) was set to 8bit (256 color) for some reason.
>
> Running the sysparams tests on a win98 where the display is set to 8bit renders
> the box useless. Changing the display to 32bit makes the tests work again.
>
> So apart from the test that has to be fixed to cope with this, what made by
> display go to 8bit?

I have noticed that if the DirectDraw/3D tests (especially the visual
tests) crash, they will not restore the screen resolution back, so I
sometimes end up with a 600x480 or 800x600 screen (this is especially
true when enabling compiz effects on Ubuntu 8.04).

Are your DirectDraw/3D tests crashing and since you are running in a
VM you are not seeing the resolution change (or have it defaulted to
the one used by the tests, with the exception of the colour depth)?

- Reece