uninformed musings on ddraw + bugs 2082 and 1347 + dib engine

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Thu May 29 06:39:57 CDT 2008

My information on Windows Vista comes from some things I happened to
read on Wikipedia for an unrelated reason:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_window_manager#Redirection

That page cites this blog (creepily similar to what I described, using
one clientside buffer per X window, except when gdi+ddraw or virtual
desktops are involved):
http://blogs.msdn.com/greg_schechter/archive/2006/05/02/588934.aspx

If an application wants to draw to the screen where there is no Wine
window (either the screen outside their window or with no window at
all), I think we will have to accept that this is impossible as long
as a compositing window manager is running. Such an application would
have to be run in a virtual desktop.

I do not have a copy of Windows Vista around to test any of this.

I think I've seen the ddraw sample you refer to (with gdi and ddraw
windows), but I seem to have misplaced it. Last I checked, the desktop
hack breaks it, and I think it uses SetHWnd for a clipper on its
primary surface.

--
Vincent Povirk