Acid test: migrating the spouse

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sat May 31 22:24:34 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Been looking forward to trying this for a long time.
> What with Wine 1.0 nearly here, and a brand new
> computer to populate, I thought I'd try actually
> migrating my spouse to Linux / Wine, or at least
> see why it isn't yet practical.

Looks like a worthwhile project.
> I'll record the process here:
> http://kegel.com/wine/migrating-user-1.html

Nice web page.  Like the list of applications she needs to use.
> So far it's not quite clear it'll work, but it should
> be educational, and I'll at least get a bunch of
> good bug reports out of it.

My wife talked me into to switch from a PC to a Mac.  I've never looked
back.  Wine is the bridge to capture those Windows applications that do
not have a Mac front end or just will never, ever be ported to the Mac.

I still have a PC in the house, but it is more a 'play toy' than a work
machine.  It is getting a new hard drive and Fedora 8 (9 is not ready
for prime-time yet.)  That will get rc2/rc3 installed on it and much
testing.

James McKenzie